Published on : Friday, May 20, 2016
This summer, thousands of amateur athletes from around the world are expected to travel to Vancouver for the first-ever Americas Masters Games (AMG). The nine-day event is designed to complement the World Masters Games (the world’s largest multi-sport event), offering an opportunity for sports enthusiasts and athletes of all skill levels 30 years of age and older to compete in the Americas region.
With less than 100 days until the opening ceremony, here’s what you need to know about Americas Masters:
1. The inaugural AMG will take place August 26 to September 4 at venues across Vancouver.
2. Anyone aged 30 to 100+ can participate. If your sole motivation is beating your friends in ice hockey, you can compete. If you play volleyball once in awhile, you can compete. Anyone can compete.
3. Vancouver was selected as host city for the inaugural AMG largely due to leading infrastructure, sports hosting facilities and experience obtained through hosting massive sporting events like the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup and the 2016 Canada Sevens.
4. “The Games’ 24 sports range from archery to judo to triathlon. Maybe I’ll try volleyball.” – Simon Whitfield, retired Olympic triathlete
5. The AMG is fun. Games will be complemented by opening and closing ceremonies; an athlete parade; nightly celebrations; a sponsors’ expo; entertainment and social events; and, of course, beer gardens.
6. You can register as an individual, post a request to find a team, or gather a group for team registration.
7. Games will take place in world-class sports venues across Vancouver, including Stanley Park, the University of British Columbia, and the recently opened Paddling Centre in False Creek.
8. “The best part about the AMG is that it’s for everyone. The Games invites participants of all skill levels and backgrounds to have a major sports event experience – and that fun and teamwork are truly what sport is all about.” – Charmaine Crooks, retired Olympic athlete
9. As an added bonus for registering, sports enthusiasts participating in the AMG have the opportunity to win a VIA Rail trip for two between Vancouver and Toronto, including accommodation and meals.
10. Ready to play?
Tags: Americas Masters Games, vancouver